Today I decided I had to suck it up and tend to some wifely duties. Not THOSE wifely duties, the ones that involve trudging up and down isles, dodging other shoppers and refraining from backhanding snot-faced kids. Unwilling to make the trip into town by myself, I called up Rick. Rick and I are the dynamic duo. We have always been two peas in a pod. Partners in crime. You get the idea. So off we go. It was a rather uneventful trip although we did have some laughs at others expense. As with most grocery shopping trips, we got hungry. Like everything looks good hungry. Like, hey, do you want a can of beans? Or perhaps some fruit O's? So we decided Taco Hell would be the perfect end to the evening. We ordered and headed out to take the new road back home. As we were heading to the correct highway, there was a semi up ahead. I wondered if it could be our friend the honey wagon driver. Rick tells me to get up next to him and he would be able to tell if it was in fact him. So I eased into the accelerator and got up next to him. Low and behold, just on the other side was the friendly local law enforcement. I glanced down and realized I was traveling just a *touch* fast. Like to the tune of 17 over fast. Whoops.
Since we needed to turn left up ahead, I put on my directional, checked my mirror, checked my blind spot and eased over. Unfortunately my mad lane changing skillz did not impress the officer and he decided it was a good idea to pull me over anyway. Damn. I proceeded the oh-my-god-I-can't-afford-a-ticket-this-will-be-my-first-ticket-ever. Shit shit shit shit shit.
The very nice deputy walked up to my window and I promptly handed over my license. He asked if he knew how fast I was going and I had to tell him yes. In fact I did. But I put more emphasis in those few words of how dumb I believed I was at that point in time. I even thought about explaining WHY I was going so fast but decided excuses are a waste of everyone's time and I shut my mouth. He took my license and with a nod, headed to his car. And then came the laughter. The vision of the full time crew huddled around the scanner at the station and taking bets as to if this yahoo was indeed me or not.
After a few minutes, the officer came back to my window with my license in hand. And left me with this little token of advice...
"17 over is a bit excessive. Drive safe and thank you for wearing your seat belts."
I could have kissed the man.
So either I have always underestimated my dashing good looks or the combination of a squeaky clean driving record and those beautiful red fire plates were enough to save my ass.
I want nothing for Christmas but good will and happiness for that man... to the tune of $327.00.
3 comments:
Sounds like a mighty fine Christmas gift there...
Glad he let you go... And I wish I had the squeeky clean driving record.
That's just it! I shouldn't! Granted my foot has downgraded to mostly lead, so that does help. But I used to be a real speed racer. I have NO idea how I have not gotten a ticket to this day. So far my tickets have included a written warning, a seatbelt ticket and a failure to yield.
I am one lucky SOB.
Merry freakin Christmas!! hehe
Post a Comment